Saturday, March 14, 2009

Christy's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes 4 dozen

I had a craving for cookies the other night, and came up with these using McCann's Irish Oatmeal. They have a hearty, chewy texture unlike virtually every other gluten-free cookie I've tried. Even though two of my children and I react to gluten, we are able to tolerate McCann's Irish Oats with no trouble at all! We had tried Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Oats, and we all reacted to them. But I read about Irish oats being gluten-free, and the McCann's brand has really worked for us. I believe a small percent of celiacs also react to a protein in oats, but we do not. For some reason, American oats are not gluten-free.

1 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, room temperature*
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla
2 1/2 cups Pamela's Baking Mix
2 cups McCann's Quick & Easy Irish Oatmeal, processed in food processor until finely ground (30 seconds to one minute)
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 bag Ghiradelli's 60% Cacao Bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup walnut pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350. Cream buttery spread with sugar for 4 to 5 minutes, until very light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
2. Combine Pamela's Mix, processed oats, and baking powder in a separate bowl. Gradually to creamed mixture, stirring gently by hand until just combined.
3. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.
4. Drop by rounded Tbls. onto greased cookie sheets (or cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, which I prefer). Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350. Remove from oven and let cool on sheets for 5 minutes before removing to rack to cool completely.
5. Enjoy!!

*Diary content: I used the Earth Balance instead of butter, but you can easily use real butter. My daughter reacts to dairy, so I cut the dairy down by using the Earth Balance. However, Pamela's Baking Mix does contain powdered buttermilk, so this recipe is not dairy-free. My daughter does okay if she only occasionally has a bit a diary.

Sugar content: Although this recipe has less sugar than most cookies, it is certainly not sugar-free! But I reduced the sugar from most recipes by 1/4 to 3/4 of a cup (depending on the recipe). Also, the bittersweet chocolate has less sugar than even semi-sweet. The oats are a healthful whole grain, and the walnuts are good for you as well. But these should still be considered an occasional treat for those watching their carbs and sugars.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Where do you find the chocolate chips? I have been looking for those...

Christy said...

Jess, I bought them at Giant. I think they do have a smidgen of dairy. Not sure if you're still trying to avoid that. Health food stores would have completely dairy-free chocolate chips.